Wednesday 1 July 2009

Reflections on the process thus far

I realise there is still a little way left to go, and that even when this particular course is over, it is more the middle of the beginning than the end of the middle (apologies to Churchill), but I still think this has been a most useful experience.
There are thing I have discovered that I didn't know were there to be discovered - some of them I perhaps will put aside to rediscover later, others will be useful from now on.
I agree with the comment on the Bb site that "when I'm at work I'm at work, and when I'm at home, I'm at work" and this seems to be happening more and more. At no time previously would I have felt bad about being on leave in Ireland and unable to connect to the web. My students are also of this belief, and I think it was Brabazon who gave the example of a student emailing at 8pm and then again at 10pm wondering why the earlier email hadn't been answered. We are already getting this from (some) students, so perhaps a blog is a way of engaging with them.
Perhaps even this could have been badged as Engaging Tutors with Students' use of Social Software - or would the end result be the online equivalent of the tutor who turns up in a leather jacket trying a little too hard to be cool? Maybe students don't want us to engage - one colleague commented in a meeting that her daughter has moved away from Facebook onto Bebo, as Facebook "had been taken over by her parents generation."
The course has given me lots of tools, and lots of answerrs, but I tihnk has raised even more questions, which I'm going to try and get to the bottom of over the next academic year or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment