Friday 26 June 2009

Week 2 Readings and things

Slightly behind the curve at the moment, due to the over-relaxing nature of a week in Kerry. A lot of the reading from last week was very illustrative, and the idea that because most students do use social networking sites we should consider having some sort of presence there is right I think. I also agree absolutely with the idea that we can't just migrate to these sites, as both comments in the discussions and the briefing document pointed out, there are still lots of students who don't (or won't or can't) use these sites, and we must not lose touch with them.

Prensky's 2001 ideas about the current generation being digital natives and learning differently to we digital immigrants seems t make sense, but I'm not sure I am quite as happy with his ideas about helping students learn in an almost secretive way - the idea that "we eliminated any language that even smacked of education" (p4).

I've set myself up on Twitter (stsatbrookes) but I can't really see a place for it in my teaching or with my students. Maybe the light will come to me in due course though...

No comments:

Post a Comment